Staying on Track During the Holidays
It’s hard to believe that the holiday season is upon us. While this time of year is often busy and filled with social gatherings and parties, it’s important to stay on track and balanced so you can start 2018 on the right gill (or foot). Here are a few simple tips and tricks to incorporate into your lifestyle to stay on track over the next month.
• Fuel Up Before You Head Out: Have a healthy snack, or even small meal, before you head to a holiday party. Try carrots and hummus or a tuna pouch with crackers. Once you get to the party, you’ll be more inclined to grab less as you walk to the buffet line.
• Rest Up: Sleep is crucial to feeling your best. While this time of year can be busy, it’s important to try and get 7-8 hours of sleep per night so you can attack whatever the next day has in store.
• Walk More: It’s important to move around throughout the day – even when you don’t have time for a workout. Join the SNP team is taking at least 10,000 steps each day tracked by FitBit.
• Get Your #Seafood2xWk: Seafood is among the highest-quality proteins and offers many additional health benefits, such as reducing your risk of heart disease, helping your child develop a healthy brain and eyes, and improving memory and sharpness in older adults. Going to a holiday potluck? Try one of these seafood appetizers to help the whole party get their #Seafood2xWk.
• Drink More: Water, that is. Staying hydrating is key when you’re on the go. It’s recommended to drink 64 ounces of water per day, so consider swapping to water in the afternoon or evening to achieve your goal.
• Stick to a Routine: Although December may feel like the anti-routine, keep to a schedule as best you can. Whether it’s waking up at the same time each day, or having dinner as a family each night, keeping a sense of normalcy will help you feel balanced each week.
As we mentioned above, this month at SNP, we’re partaking in a health and wellness challenge to stay on track during the holidays. While we always follow our Healthy Heart Pledge, this month we’re going above and beyond with healthy eating, extra movement, and taking the time to put ourselves first during a usually hectic time. We’ll be taking at least 10,000 steps each day tracked in FitBit along with weekly challenges, such as exercising five times per week or drinking 8 glasses of water daily. Please email us if you would like to join this challenge and we will add you to our FitBit group.
The Seafood Nutrition Partnership mission is to inspire a healthier America through partnerships that raise awareness about the essential nutritional benefits of eating seafood. This organization is a not-for-profit focused on addressing America’s public health crisis by building awareness of seafood’s health benefits and providing education on how to eat seafood at least twice a week as recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.